Policies and procedures are often overlooked as “dull paperwork” in the cut and thrust of business. But their impact is significant – both in helping your run a better business and in keeping you out of legal trouble.
When did you last update your policies and procedure?
They are living documents – they need to be reviewed, updated and changed regularly or they become meaningless.
When you undertake a review and update, there’s a few important things to keep in mind:
- Ensure that you include systems, resources and tools that have changed or evolved – tech, platforms, logins etc.
- Check for changes in industry legislation and other employer obligations – e.g. Fair Work, Awards, Franchising Code of Conduct, Privacy Act, industry specific criteria.
- Engage subject matter experts within your business – don’t assume that you (or the person tasked with updating) knows all the details.
- Consider including video instructions as part of your manuals.
- Look at the language – is it consistent across all policies? Do you need to be gender inclusive in your terminology? How about talking about “team members” rather than “employees” or “staff”?
- Ensure the person writing or updating your manuals is a detail – driven person. While a creative person might create a marvellously engaging manual, it’s likely to be thin on detail!
- Tell your team members about the changes. Look for the most effective way of sharing them. Consider putting them on an intranet and have them read and sign-off on them.
If you don’t have the time or resources to write or update your policies and procedures, consider seeking an outside expert to help. FC Business Solutions has the expertise and experience to help you. Give us a call and see if we can help.